This brochure provides an overview of the HEAR presentation, and provides valuable strategies and resources for establishing safe school and classroom environments.
Making Caring Common
Seeks to help educators, parents, and communities raise children who are caring, respectful, and responsible toward others and their communities. Provides tips and tools inspired by the newest research and the wisdom of experience. Designed to help you promote social and emotional learning, prevent bullying and other forms of cruelty, and create cultures of caring and respect in schools.
The Empowerment Initiative supports translational research designed to foster positive, accepting communities free from bullying and other negative behaviors. Research and outreach conducted through the Empowerment Initiative focus on identifying and addressing the complex personal, social and cultural factors underlying such behaviors, thereby advancing practical solutions to promote healthy relationships within families, schools and communities.
StopBullying.gov provides information from various government agencies on how kids, teens, young adults, parents, educators and others in the community can prevent or stop bullying.
Considerations for Successful Counterspeech
This research-based guide provides practical strategies that you can share with students to empower them to successfully counter online hate and harassment.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The CDC has released a compendium of assessment tools for bullying.
This site was developed by the National Association of School Psychologists and the National Council for Behavioral Health. It offers mental health resources and tips related to stress management, resiliency, bullying, suicide prevention, and building healthy relationships.
Safe and Supportive Schools
Provides tools and manuals, research briefs, and additional readings about topics within the broad areas of school engagement, environment, and safety. The “School Climate Measurement” portion of the website features a school climate measurement tool compendium.
Submit the Documentary
Submit the Documentary is an informative film that illustrates the serious social phenomenon of cyberbullying confronting our children and their well-being. It features interviews from affected teens, parents of victims, educators, experts and law enforcement as they tackle this worldwide issue, while offering solutions to this complicated problem. The ultimate goal of the documentary and website is to become the center of education on cyberbullying awareness, support and solutions.
Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
Disseminates information on the benefits and importance of social and emotional learning. Provides resources related to selecting a social and emotional learning program at schools, and offers suggestions related to the training, funding, and assessment of such programs.
Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2020
This annual report examines crime occurring in school, as well as to and from school. It presents detailed statistical data on the nature of crime in schools from the perspectives of students, teachers, principals, and the general population from an array of sources. A joint effort by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and National Center for Education Statistics.
- Be Nice (Or Else!): And What’s In it for You (2004). By Winn Claybaugh. Laguna Beach. CA:Von Curtis Publishing.
- Bullying in American Schools: A Social-Ecological Perspective on Prevention and Intervention. Edited by Dorothy L. Espelage, & Susan M. Swearer, (2004). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- Bullying Prevention and Intervention: Realistic Strategies for Schools. By Susan M. Swearer, Dorothy L. Espelage, & Scott A. Napolitano (2009). NY: Routledge Press.
- Bullying Prevention: Creating a Positive School Climate and Developing Social Competence. By Pamela Orpinas, & Arthur (Andy) Horne, (2006). American Psychological Association.
- Bullying, Peer Harassment, and Victimization in the Schools. Edited by Maurice Elias, & Joseph Zins, (2002). The Haworth Press, Inc.
- Handbook of Bullying in Schools: An International Perspective (2010). Edited by Shane R. Jimerson, Susan M. Swearer, & Dorothy L. Espelage. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Homophobic Bullying: Research and Theoretical Perspectives (2011). By Ian Rivers. Oxford University Press.
- Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls (2002). By Rachel Simmons. New York, NY: Harcourt, Inc.
- Resilient Classrooms. Beth Doll, Steven Zucker, & Katherine Brehm. (2004). The Guilford Press.
- See Jane Hit: Why Girls Are Growing More Violent and What We Can Do About It (2006). By James Garbarino. New York, NY: The Penguin Press.
- Sticks and Stones: Defeating the Culture of Bullying and Rediscovering the Power of Character and Empathy (2013). Emily Bazelon. New York, NY: Random House.
Get more information about our bullying solutions.
Fill out the form and one of our associates will be in touch within the next 24 hours.